: Agricultural Produce Market Committee (APMC)
: Gondal, Gujarat
: Design Workshop
: Auction Shed
: ECOBUILD™ Building Systems
: TRIMDEK® 1015 Roof System
: 9,430 sq.mt.
Brief about Client:
“Agriculture Produce Market Committee” established by Gujarat Government in many towns of the state, facilitates farmers to sell their produce directly to the consumer that too at a reasonable price. APMC Gondal, established in the year 1951, is a successful example of this initiative and is one of the biggest markets in Gujarat for vegetables and regulated commodities, catering to approximately 6000 to 10,000 plus buyers who visit daily for trading in the market.Brief about Project:
APMC Gondal wanted to provide a secured shelter for the farmers and their agro-products to protect them from rain and scorching heat. Farmers typically brought their produce in Trucks and Tractors. There was an anticipated heavy movement of vehicles inside the proposed building for loading and unloading of the agri-produce. Due to this they required an obstacle free covered shed for auctions. The challenge was to ensure installation of shed before the impending rainy season that was just round the corner. APMC wanted this auction shed on urgent basis without compromising functional requirements.Scope of Project:
Tata BlueScope Building Solutions offered Design, Manufacture, Supply and Erection of Engineered Steel Building Solutions for APMC’s Auction Shed Project.
Detailed specifications are as follows.
Primary frame members were designed as per AISC-1989, design loads were as per MBMA-96, Seismic loads were as per IS 1893: 2002 and Cold Formed members were designed as per AISI -1996. Single side welding was considered for all primary members, welding as per American Welding Society (AWS), Structural Welding Code-Steel.Key Project Requirements:
- - 100,000 Square feet clear column free area to facilitate vehicular movement.
- - Building should be open from all four side walls.
- - The mid-season of different crops and rainy season was approaching and hence APMC wanted this auction shed to be completed on urgent basis without compromising functional requirements.
- - 200 feet clear span building and 500 feet length of building and 20 feet clear height
- - Bay Spacing 29’-6”c/c of column to facilitate vehicular movement
- - Wall panels extended to cover depth of rafters
- - Sequential delivery of materials to follow building erection priorities
- - Erection of large clear span building with speed and safety. The erection of 200 feet long support less beam was challenging.
Project Milestones and Performance:
- At the start of project customer and consultant were absolutely clear about their specific operational requirements and adhered to the approved plan till the end.
- At order entry stage, all these requirements were perfectly captured in Project Information Form and General arrangement drawings precisely captured requirements stated. Approval of GA drawings was received within a week and without any change.
- A dedicated TBBS Project Manager - a single point of contact was appointed throughout the project to ensure proper coordination with external and internal stakeholders.
- Daily monitoring: Project Kickoff meetings with all stakeholders and daily reviews helped in resolving bottlenecks during manufacturing phase. Due to this there was complete clarity in ‘Scope of Project’ to all stake holders involved.
- Building Solutions team devised methodology to erect these long span beams speedily and safely.
- Project progress reviews on daily and weekly basis was undertaken to ensure proper coordination with all stakeholders.
- Specific materials laydown area for easier identification of materials required for particular modules.
- Tata BlueScope Building Solutions expertise for resources consideration and deployment at site by builder to achieve desired outcome
- Daily monitoring and controlling of execution sequence helped in erection phase.
Before the kick start of the erection activities, Full-Kit material was received at site which helped construction team to proceed with erection activities as per detailed erection planning. Our construction team identified key risks of this project at early stage and followed safe work methods for the erection of 200 feet clear span building. Levelling of PCC floor provided by client before start of project, helped in safe and faster erection of building. The project was handed over on 7th April 2015, i.e. two weeks before agreed handing over date.Results:
The outcome of our consolidated efforts was a large and clear span of an auction shed built before the promised delivery date. The long-term performance of engineered steel building certainly offered significant benefits to APMC, Gondal, such as providing superior facilities to their stake holders, helping the farmers and buyers to protect their perishable farm produce from harsh climatic conditions, ensuring a safe shelter to market their produce with ease and hassle-free. Due to exemplary performance of Tata BlueScope Building Solutions on Auction shed project, APMC Gondal has placed another repeat order for engineered steel building.
Mr. Jayantibhai S. Dhol,
Chairman, APMC Gondal, Gujarat
“Tata BlueScope Building Solutions has not only honored its commitment to meet our stringent project timelines but also ensured safe erection, superior design and high quality of product, workmanship delivered at our project. The overall performance of the auction shed building has helped us to meet our commitments given to our stake holders. The proof of our success was further extoled when Chief Minister of Gujarat, Ms. Anandiben Patel inaugurated the facility on 24th May 2015.”
We thank Mr. Jayantibhai S. Dhol Chairman, APMC Gondal, Projects Consultants and APMC Team for their continued support during concept, planning and execution phase of entire project.